Wet kefir, also known as Japanese crystals, is a type of kefir fungus. Kefir has similar properties as kombucha but it is easier to preserve (something like milk kefir).
This fungus has sharp and refreshing taste and it is easily digestible. This refreshing sour-like taste drink is prepared by kefir fungus. Its preparation is in fact just a symbiosis between bacteria and fungus.
Experience showed that kefir has positive effects on the overall health. It can help in the treatment of many diseases and upsets.
Regular consumption of kefir:
- strengthens the immune system
- cleans the organism out of toxins
- helps in maintaining normal blood pressure
- lowers the cholesterol levels
- helps in treatment of stomach diseases
- restores flora and relieves intestinal diseases
- help in treatment of kidney, liver and bile diseases
- acts as natural antibiotic (heals inflamed processes
- helps in anemia and poor circulation treatment
- treats respiratory diseases
- helps with stress, insomnia and nervous system diseases
- it slows down the spread of cancerous cells
- acts against fungi and bacteria
- acts against asthma and allergies
It is important to mention that industrially manufactured kefir is not produced from kefir fungus but from hops and different types of bacteria that give the drink the same flavor, but not the same quality. Due to this fact , the best thing to do is prepare kefir at home.
Its preparation is very simple.
In order to prepare kefir in 1 liter-jar you need:
- 3-4 teaspoons of kefir
- 1 liter of water
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 20-30 grains of dried grapes (you can also use dried figs, apricots but you can never use fresh fruit)
In order to normalize the pH value of this beverage you can add a piece of lemon, among other ingredients. Leave the jar standing still for at least 24 hours. In this way there is enough time for the fermentation process to take place
You can drink the liquid after those 24 hours or you can store it in a bottle and keep it in the fridge. If you store the kefir into the fridge, add water, sugar and dried fruit the next day.
Make sure the water you add is distilled – chlorine free. In case you don’t put sugar, fungus will die. You also need to be careful what kind of spoon you are using. Crystals mustn’t be in contact with metal. This is why you need to use plastic spoon.
Don’t forget to let the jar lid little bit loose so the fungus can breathe.
As we said before, it is similar to kombucha but less complicated. Kefir preparation will only take 5 minutes out of your precious time. You can consume kefir as much as you want at any time of the day.